Sunday, October 30, 2011

Prettiness comes in all shapes and sizes

Recently I was asked by a fellow Perth Upmarket retailer and friend Tamara Harrison if I could create a one off piece as a wedding gift for a dear friend.

With design in place the makings began, I'm not going to lie pretties, it was has been an anxiety ridden couple of months.

Why you ask? Let me count the ways.

1. Southern Ice - my material of choice is a super elastic porcelain clay body that is surceptive to warping and cracking on the slightest whim.

2. I'm used to working in a hand-building style.

3. It was winter - anyone worth their ceramic salt will know it's a nightmare waiting for pieces to dry in winter.

In saying all that I am an optimist and a bit of an under stater. So when my good friend Danica mentioned (repeatedly) that the piece wouldn't dry for a good month I scoffed with the arrogance of a fanboy first in line at an Apple release. That's right, I was a F.O.O.L.

Why was I a fool? I had advised the ever patient Tamara that a turn around time of 5-6 weeks wouldn't be expected.

Fast forward 5 months, that's right 5 months, I've just delivered the gorgeous vessel.

It's something I wish I had made two of because I will never make anything like this ever again...well...maybe.

HAHAHA!!

So before you eyeball the pretty piece here are a couple things I want, nay, need to gush over:

1. No warpage - holy bananas! The probability of this not occurring is mega!

2. Glory be to glazing -perfect, perfect, perfect!!

3. From conception to realisation - it turned out as planned.

4. Did I mention that I only had one piece? In hindsight I wondered what I would do if the piece failed...yea, that's right, naive arrogance.

So to end, here it is.



This pic taken on my iPhone doesn't do it justice.

Pretty out!

No comments:

Post a Comment